Saturday, September 19, 2009

Working on the exquisite corpse drawing











I did some research on torsos and drawing the human figure. It's been a while since I have been in the life drawing class. I realize with the exquisite corpse that it is a surrealist exploration but I wanted to have a beginning point in my head as I start working. The torso really encompasses much of the body. And the way the paper is folded I am limited in creating the length of a true proportional torso. The torso contains the vital organs of the body, the heart, lungs, and then it also has the arms and the back.

In my studies I found some older drawings of figures, which I think, are Rembrandts. I love the way the fabrics and body become one in a way. Also the figures shown from behind and the back and arms are very distinctive. Also the lines are very gestural which I enjoy. The head of the figure is rotated towards the viewer. Now of course when I draw this it will be completely different.

As I was doing my stretches this morning I was thinking about the repetition of moving the body. But also how the body changes shape in relationship to the viewer, myself. As each motion of a stretch is carried out. This sounds like it could be a place for taking some pictures. Because for example when it do backstretch bring my knee to my chest my knee is only a half moon shape than as it bends them comes closer it changes its form to the point I can actually touch it with my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment